Christ is Risen! Indeed, He is Risen!
Five from Holy Cross Travel to Mexico to Build a House for a Family in Need
From July 6 – July 12, 2012 Pauline Dickey, Linda, Megan, Nathaniel and Anthony Jula joined with Project Mexico and 60 other Orthodox Christians from across the US and Canada to build four houses for needy families near Tijuana, Mexico. The Holy Cross group joined about 10 others between the ages of 15 and 75, to focus on building an approximately 10 x 20 foot structure for a young couple, Georgina and Salvadore and their two small children. This was accomplished over a period of four days.
One day each was spent performing each of the following tasks; pouring the foundation, framing and assembling the walls, roofing and encasing the structure in chicken wire, and installing two windows and a door and adding stucco to the exterior. The structure was assembled without the use of power tools (OK, a cordless drill was used to install screws for the windows and door). When finished the house did not have electricity or any plumbing. The new home was completed with a home blessing, gifts of a Bible and icon, new towels and the turning over of the key to the new owners.
While the house was being constructed, the Missionaries stayed in tents on the grounds of St. Innocent Orphanage. St. Innocent is a home for approximately 30 boys who would otherwise be left to fend for themselves in Mexican society. These boys are true orphans with no living parents. The orphanage is their home.
While the primary focus of the mission trip was to construct a house, other activities included morning and evening prayers, communal meals provided by the Project Mexico interns, camp fires, a Sunday sports day with the boys and a trip to a local beach.
Support Holy Cross with Kroger CommunityRewards
Now you can register your Kroger PlusCard to support Holy Cross Mission! Below are the instructions for registering your card online, with a percentage of your purchases returned to our Mission:
- Simply register online at krogercommunityrewards.com
- Be sure to have your Kroger Plus card handy and register your card with your organization after you sign up.
- If you don’t have a Kroger Plus card, they are available at the customer service desk at any Kroger.
- Click on Sign In/Register
- Most participants are new online customers, so they must click on SIGN UP TODAY in the ‘New Customer?’ box.
- Sign up for a Kroger Rewards Account by entering zip code, clicking on favorite store, entering your email address and creating a password, agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- You will then get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
- Click on “My Account” and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on “Edit Kroger Community Rewards” information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter NPO number 81986 or “Holy Cross,” and select our Mission from the list and click on confirm.
- To verify you are enrolled correctly, you will see your organization’s name on the right side of your information page.
- REMEMBER, your purchases will not count for Holy Cross until after you register your card.
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 877-576-7587 to get your Kroger Plus card number.
You must swipe your registered Kroger Plus card or use the phone number that is related to your registered Kroger Plus card when shopping for each purchase to count.
Read today's prescribed Epistle and Gospel passages and learn about the saints commemorated by the Church on this day
Our online calendar listing the major saints, feasts, and fasting periods in the Orthodox Church for this month
Send electronic icon greeting cards to your family, friends or loved ones on their name day or any special occasion.